Mountainbiking

Photo gallery

Hiking in the surroundings

Jakobsweg Graubünden
Jakobsweg Graubünden
Stage 4, Scuol–Guarda
Show all

Cycling in the surroundings

Graubünden Route
Graubünden Route
Stage 4, Zernez–Martina
Show all
Inn-Radweg
Inn-Radweg
Stage 3, Guarda–Martina
Show all

Biking in the surroundings

Alpine Bike
Engiadina Bassa
Engiadina Bassa
Nationalpark Bike-Marathon
Nationalpark Bike-Marathon
Trans-Altarezia Bike
Tarasp
Avrona Bike
Natèas Bike
Scuol
Tarasp Castel

Tarasp Castel

Tarasp Castle is one of the most impressive fortresses in the Alpine valleys. It stands on a hill, commanding a view of the valley of the River Inn.
Founded in the third quarter of the 11th century by the Lords of Tarasp, it was in the possession of the house of Habsburg-Austria from 1464 onwards, passing subsequently to the Canton of Graubünden from 1803 until 1900, when it was purchased by Karl August Lingner from Dresden. He restored the crumbling castle, equipping it with historical panelling and furniture. Since 1916 it has been in the possession of the Dukes of Hessen and since 1919 has been opened to the public as a museum. The castle path leads around the rocks, ascending to the highest plateau.

The buildings of the upper castle are grouped around a narrow inner courtyard. The broad keep, towering over the other buildings, dates back to the High Middle Ages. In the castle courtyard stands the Romanesque Chapel of St John's, whose choir projects as an oriole from the circular wall on the east side. The interior harbours wall paintings from the Late Middle Ages and the Renaissance era.
Tarasp Castle is one of the most impressive fortresses in the Alpine valleys. It stands on a hill, commanding a view of the valley of the River Inn.
Founded in the third quarter of the 11th century by the Lords of Tarasp, it was in the possession of the house of Habsburg-Austria from 1464 onwards, passing subsequently to the Canton of Graubünden from 1803 until 1900, when it was purchased by Karl August Lingner from Dresden. He restored the crumbling castle, equipping it with historical panelling and furniture. Since 1916 it has been in the possession of the Dukes of Hessen and since 1919 has been opened to the public as a museum. The castle path leads around the rocks, ascending to the highest plateau.

The buildings of the upper castle are grouped around a narrow inner courtyard. The broad keep, towering over the other buildings, dates back to the High Middle Ages. In the castle courtyard stands the Romanesque Chapel of St John's, whose choir projects as an oriole from the circular wall on the east side. The interior harbours wall paintings from the Late Middle Ages and the Renaissance era.

Tarasp Castel

Adresse

Tourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG
Stradun 403a
7550 Scuol
Tel. +41 (0)81 861 88 00
info@engadin.com
www.engadin.com

Services

Places

Ardez
Ardez
Ftan
Ftan
Guarda
Guarda
S-charl
S-charl
Scuol
Scuol
Sent
Sent
Show all

Accommodation

Camping Sur En
Camping Sur En
Sent
Chamanna Lischana CAS
Chamanna Lischana CAS
Scuol
Chamonna Tuoi CAS
Chamonna Tuoi CAS
Guarda
Ferienhof Pua
Ferienhof Pua
Sent
Hotel Altana
Hotel Altana
Scuol
Hotel Bellavista
Hotel Bellavista
Ftan
Hotel Conrad
Hotel Conrad
Scuol
Jugendherberge Scuol
Jugendherberge Scuol
Scuol
TCS Camping Scuol
TCS Camping Scuol
Scuol
Show all

Hiking in the surroundings

Jakobsweg Graubünden
Jakobsweg Graubünden
Stage 4, Scuol–Guarda
Show all

Cycling in the surroundings

Graubünden Route
Graubünden Route
Stage 4, Zernez–Martina
Show all
Inn-Radweg
Inn-Radweg
Stage 3, Guarda–Martina
Show all

Biking in the surroundings

Alpine Bike
Engiadina Bassa
Engiadina Bassa
Nationalpark Bike-Marathon
Nationalpark Bike-Marathon
Trans-Altarezia Bike
Tarasp
Avrona Bike
Natèas Bike