false

Hiking

Photo gallery

Hiking in

Cossonay
ViaFrancigena
ViaFrancigena
Stage 3, Orbe–Cossonay
Show all
ViaFrancigena
ViaFrancigena
Stage 4, Cossonay–Lausanne
Show all

Cycling in

Cossonay
Mittelland Route
Mittelland Route
Stage 7, Yverdon–Lausanne
Show all
Gros de Vaud–La Côte
Gros de Vaud–La Côte
Stage 2, Echallens (Goumoens)–Rolle
Show all
Cossonay
Cossonay

Cossonay

The fertile soil of the gently rolling Gros de Vaud landscape between Lausanne to the south and Yverdon-les-Bains to the north is regarded as the granary of Canton Vaud. Cossonay is located here in a slightly elevated position.
Cossonay, altitude 562 m, is located 11 km north of Lausanne on the edge of a high plateau, some 130 m above the floor of the valley of the Venoge River. The district of Cossonay-Gare in the valley is on the railway line from Lausanne towards Yverdon and Vallorbe-France (Lausanne-Paris TGV line). The height difference between the railway station and the town has been mastered by a 1200m-long funicular since 1897 but naturally there is also a road.

Cossonay is a regional industrial, business and administrative centre and in recent decades has also become a residential district for commuters working in the region around Lausanne.

The remains of a Roman estate and an early-medieval burial ground were discovered in the municipal district of Cossonay. From the High Middle Ages, the town was the seat of a leading noble family and received its town charter in 1264. Cossonay has a medieval townscape with the 19th century Hôtel de Ville (town hall) with a neo-classical façade, the 17th century Hôtel du Cerf, the late-Gothic Café des Bains and other preserved townhouses and patrician dwellings built between the 17th and 19th centuries.

The most striking building in the historic town is the Church of Saint-Pierre-et-Paul, standing on the site of a former House of God believed to date from the 8th century. Sections of a former priory have been incorporated into the new understated Cossonay Castle, once the seat of the local lords and now housing the local administration.

The nature reserve of Étang du Sépey in a small area of marshland to the west of the municipal district is actually two tiny ponds created by the renaturisation of a former quarry.

Highlights

  • Picturesque medieval townscape of Cossonay – with townhouses and patricians dwellings built between the 17th and 19th centuries.
  • Funicular railway – once with water used as a counterweight, today an electrically-powered link between the railway station and the higher location of the town.
  • Gros de Vaud – the gently rolling plateau between Lausanne to the south and the Plaine de l’Orbe and Yverdon-les-Bains in the north is regarded as the granary of Canton Vaud.
The fertile soil of the gently rolling Gros de Vaud landscape between Lausanne to the south and Yverdon-les-Bains to the north is regarded as the granary of Canton Vaud. Cossonay is located here in a slightly elevated position.
Cossonay, altitude 562 m, is located 11 km north of Lausanne on the edge of a high plateau, some 130 m above the floor of the valley of the Venoge River. The district of Cossonay-Gare in the valley is on the railway line from Lausanne towards Yverdon and Vallorbe-France (Lausanne-Paris TGV line). The height difference between the railway station and the town has been mastered by a 1200m-long funicular since 1897 but naturally there is also a road.

Cossonay is a regional industrial, business and administrative centre and in recent decades has also become a residential district for commuters working in the region around Lausanne.

The remains of a Roman estate and an early-medieval burial ground were discovered in the municipal district of Cossonay. From the High Middle Ages, the town was the seat of a leading noble family and received its town charter in 1264. Cossonay has a medieval townscape with the 19th century Hôtel de Ville (town hall) with a neo-classical façade, the 17th century Hôtel du Cerf, the late-Gothic Café des Bains and other preserved townhouses and patrician dwellings built between the 17th and 19th centuries.

The most striking building in the historic town is the Church of Saint-Pierre-et-Paul, standing on the site of a former House of God believed to date from the 8th century. Sections of a former priory have been incorporated into the new understated Cossonay Castle, once the seat of the local lords and now housing the local administration.

The nature reserve of Étang du Sépey in a small area of marshland to the west of the municipal district is actually two tiny ponds created by the renaturisation of a former quarry.

Highlights

  • Picturesque medieval townscape of Cossonay – with townhouses and patricians dwellings built between the 17th and 19th centuries.
  • Funicular railway – once with water used as a counterweight, today an electrically-powered link between the railway station and the higher location of the town.
  • Gros de Vaud – the gently rolling plateau between Lausanne to the south and the Plaine de l’Orbe and Yverdon-les-Bains in the north is regarded as the granary of Canton Vaud.

Arrival and return Cossonay

Adresse

Morges Région Tourisme
Rue du Château 2
Case postale 55
1110 Morges
Tel. +41 (0)21 801 32 33
info@morges-tourisme.ch
www.morges.ch

Services

Accommodation

Hôtel Le Funi
Hôtel Le Funi
Cossonay-Ville
Show all

Hiking in

Cossonay
ViaFrancigena
ViaFrancigena
Stage 3, Orbe–Cossonay
Show all
ViaFrancigena
ViaFrancigena
Stage 4, Cossonay–Lausanne
Show all

Cycling in

Cossonay
Mittelland Route
Mittelland Route
Stage 7, Yverdon–Lausanne
Show all
Gros de Vaud–La Côte
Gros de Vaud–La Côte
Stage 2, Echallens (Goumoens)–Rolle
Show all