Hiking

Photo gallery

Hiking in the surroundings

Chemin de la Sarine au Pays-d'Enhaut
Chemin de la Sarine au Pays-d'Enhaut
Route 131, Rougemont–Rossinière
Show all

Cycling in the surroundings

Lakes Route
Lakes Route
Stage 2, Bulle–Gstaad
Show all
Saanenland–Freiburgerland
Saanenland–Freiburgerland
Stage 2, Les Diablerets–Jaun
Show all

Biking in the surroundings

Alpine Bike
Rellerli Bike
Pays d'Enhaut Bike
Rougemont
11th century, Romanesque church

11th century, Romanesque church

This Romanesque church, which has the shape of a Latin cross, was built by Cluny monks in the 11th century. Under the Bernese reign, a steeper, typical Bernese Oberland roof structure replaced the Burgundy roofs. The adjoining castle was built in the 16th century.
Rougemont Church was built around 1080 A.D. by Cluny monks. This priory is the first and only convent in the Lake Geneva Alps. The sanctuary is dedicated to Saint Nicolas de Myre, a martyr of the 4th century, the patron saint of children, who is celebrated on 6 December. The church was built in the Romanesque style according to the classic Cluniac layout: it has the shape of a Latin cross. The nave rests on the side aisles. The choir comprises three apses. A square tower built on the transept holds the bells. During the Bernese reign, the priory was demolished and a castle for the bailiffs put in its place. The Burgundy roofs were replaced by a steeper roof that was better suited to the climate. Major restoration work from 1919 to 1926 uncovered the stones of the building that had hitherto been hidden by five layers of plaster. The ceiling of the nave was remade with wooden beams. The paintings were made by Correvon, based on 13th century motifs.
This Romanesque church, which has the shape of a Latin cross, was built by Cluny monks in the 11th century. Under the Bernese reign, a steeper, typical Bernese Oberland roof structure replaced the Burgundy roofs. The adjoining castle was built in the 16th century.
Rougemont Church was built around 1080 A.D. by Cluny monks. This priory is the first and only convent in the Lake Geneva Alps. The sanctuary is dedicated to Saint Nicolas de Myre, a martyr of the 4th century, the patron saint of children, who is celebrated on 6 December. The church was built in the Romanesque style according to the classic Cluniac layout: it has the shape of a Latin cross. The nave rests on the side aisles. The choir comprises three apses. A square tower built on the transept holds the bells. During the Bernese reign, the priory was demolished and a castle for the bailiffs put in its place. The Burgundy roofs were replaced by a steeper roof that was better suited to the climate. Major restoration work from 1919 to 1926 uncovered the stones of the building that had hitherto been hidden by five layers of plaster. The ceiling of the nave was remade with wooden beams. The paintings were made by Correvon, based on 13th century motifs.

11th century, Romanesque church

Adresse

Pays-d'Enhaut Tourisme
Rte de la Croisette 16
1659 Rougemont
Tel. +41 (0)26 925 11 66
rougemont@chateau-doex.ch
www.rougemont.ch

Services

Places

Rougemont
Rougemont
Show all

Hiking in the surroundings

Chemin de la Sarine au Pays-d'Enhaut
Chemin de la Sarine au Pays-d'Enhaut
Route 131, Rougemont–Rossinière
Show all

Cycling in the surroundings

Lakes Route
Lakes Route
Stage 2, Bulle–Gstaad
Show all
Saanenland–Freiburgerland
Saanenland–Freiburgerland
Stage 2, Les Diablerets–Jaun
Show all

Biking in the surroundings

Alpine Bike
Rellerli Bike
Pays d'Enhaut Bike