55 ViaSuworow
55 ViaSuworow

Hiking

etappe-01191

ViaSuworow

Stage 3, Andermatt–Wassen

Route report
1 photos

WL_055_03_M.jpg
etappe-01191

ViaSuworow

Taking the route through the Schöllenenschlucht gorge today is much easier than in Suvorov's time. He and his soldiers had to force the French troops back down the valley. However, he was given a memorial at the Teufelsbrücke (Devil's Bridge) for his pains.
After joining forces with Russian General Rosenberg, Suvorov united the bulk of his army in the Urseren Valley on the morning of 25 September. At the same time, the Austrian General Auffenberg continued his march from the Maderanertal towards Amsteg. It's only a few minutes from Andermatt to the Teufelsbrücke. The gorge is described by military writer Dmitri Alexeyevich Miljutin as follows: "The path running along the right bank of the Reuss is blocked by enormous rocks which drop vertically into the bed of the river (...). As soon as the path emerges from the dark underground passage, it runs along a rock face before dropping steeply towards the famous Devil's Bridge. On this stretch, the Reuss breaks through a crevice between high and steep mountains (...). The sheer masses of rock (...) are so close that the bridge leads from one side to the other in just a single bold curve over the surface of the water."

The setting is still similar today but has been supplemented with a car park, railway line, motor road and bridge. There are many ambiguities about Suvorov's battles at the Devil's Bridge. One thing is sure, though: The bridge had not been blown up, but an arch with beams had been destroyed. The French – coming from the left bank of the Reuss and the Teufelsstein area – were able to fire on the Urnerloch. The frontal attack resulted in considerable losses. Attempts were made to bypass the steep rock faces on both sides of the Urnerloch. When these came to fruition, the French withdrew, presumably after learning of Auffenberg's attack in the Maderaner valley – on the French line of retreat. After the bridge was repaired, the advance towards Göschenen began.

Today, the Suvorov monument stands a few steps away from the Devil's Bridge. Above the site, it is worth taking a detour to the Schöllenen circular trail (approx. 15-20min), which leads through a military shaft. From here on, the hiking trail runs alongside or sometimes on the motor road. The serpentines contrast impressively with the steep rock faces. The descent to Göschenen and Wassen was tedious for Suvorov, too, as the French had destroyed several bridges. After the serpentines, the route crosses the three-arched Häderlis Bridge not far from Göschenen. Situated at the top of the Reuss Valley in Uri, most people only know Göschenen from passing through. The village was bustling between 1872 and 1882 and again almost a hundred years later, from 1970 to 1980, when the world's longest railway tunnel and later the longest motorway tunnel were built. Thousands of guest workers came to Göschenen for this purpose.

For the last hour and a half, the hiking trail runs mostly above the Reuss river to Wassen with its neat stone and wooden houses and the magnificent fountain on the village square. Today the village is best known for its little church, situated on a hill. Since the opening of the Gotthard railway line, the "Chileli vo Wasse" has been a landmark for the journey south. Due to the puzzling routing of the railway through two spiral tunnels, the baroque church can be seen three times from a different perspective.

*Background information and quotations stages 55.1-55.9: Alois Camenzind (1992), Maultiere machen Geschichte oder Suworows Krieg in den Schweizer Alpen im Jahre 1799, Luzern: Verlag Pro Libro Luzern GmbH
Taking the route through the Schöllenenschlucht gorge today is much easier than in Suvorov's time. He and his soldiers had to force the French troops back down the valley. However, he was given a memorial at the Teufelsbrücke (Devil's Bridge) for his pains.
After joining forces with Russian General Rosenberg, Suvorov united the bulk of his army in the Urseren Valley on the morning of 25 September. At the same time, the Austrian General Auffenberg continued his march from the Maderanertal towards Amsteg. It's only a few minutes from Andermatt to the Teufelsbrücke. The gorge is described by military writer Dmitri Alexeyevich Miljutin as follows: "The path running along the right bank of the Reuss is blocked by enormous rocks which drop vertically into the bed of the river (...). As soon as the path emerges from the dark underground passage, it runs along a rock face before dropping steeply towards the famous Devil's Bridge. On this stretch, the Reuss breaks through a crevice between high and steep mountains (...). The sheer masses of rock (...) are so close that the bridge leads from one side to the other in just a single bold curve over the surface of the water."

The setting is still similar today but has been supplemented with a car park, railway line, motor road and bridge. There are many ambiguities about Suvorov's battles at the Devil's Bridge. One thing is sure, though: The bridge had not been blown up, but an arch with beams had been destroyed. The French – coming from the left bank of the Reuss and the Teufelsstein area – were able to fire on the Urnerloch. The frontal attack resulted in considerable losses. Attempts were made to bypass the steep rock faces on both sides of the Urnerloch. When these came to fruition, the French withdrew, presumably after learning of Auffenberg's attack in the Maderaner valley – on the French line of retreat. After the bridge was repaired, the advance towards Göschenen began.

Today, the Suvorov monument stands a few steps away from the Devil's Bridge. Above the site, it is worth taking a detour to the Schöllenen circular trail (approx. 15-20min), which leads through a military shaft. From here on, the hiking trail runs alongside or sometimes on the motor road. The serpentines contrast impressively with the steep rock faces. The descent to Göschenen and Wassen was tedious for Suvorov, too, as the French had destroyed several bridges. After the serpentines, the route crosses the three-arched Häderlis Bridge not far from Göschenen. Situated at the top of the Reuss Valley in Uri, most people only know Göschenen from passing through. The village was bustling between 1872 and 1882 and again almost a hundred years later, from 1970 to 1980, when the world's longest railway tunnel and later the longest motorway tunnel were built. Thousands of guest workers came to Göschenen for this purpose.

For the last hour and a half, the hiking trail runs mostly above the Reuss river to Wassen with its neat stone and wooden houses and the magnificent fountain on the village square. Today the village is best known for its little church, situated on a hill. Since the opening of the Gotthard railway line, the "Chileli vo Wasse" has been a landmark for the journey south. Due to the puzzling routing of the railway through two spiral tunnels, the baroque church can be seen three times from a different perspective.

*Background information and quotations stages 55.1-55.9: Alois Camenzind (1992), Maultiere machen Geschichte oder Suworows Krieg in den Schweizer Alpen im Jahre 1799, Luzern: Verlag Pro Libro Luzern GmbH
10 km
150 m | 680 m
2 h 40 min
easy (hiking trail) | medium

Arrival | return travel

Arrival / return travel Andermatt
SBB Timetable Show stop and route on map

More …

Winter closure Andermatt-Göschenen
Duration
07.11.2022 - 28.04.2023
Reason
Other
On the Andermatt-Göschenen mountain trail, the bridges and guardrails have been dismantled. The section Färschenkehr-Brüggwaldboden is closed during the winter months.
We thank you very much for your understanding.
Status
validated
Data source: Swiss Hiking Federation and Cantonal hiking associations
Winter closure Wassen-Göschenen
Duration
07.11.2022 - 19.05.2023
Reason
Other
Over the winter months, the hiking trail bridges in the Naxtal and Neiselental valleys will be dismantled. The Wassen-Göschenen hiking trail is closed. The winter closure may last until mid-May due to snow.
Status
validated
Data source: Swiss Hiking Federation and Cantonal hiking associations
Saving metres in altitude
There is a train between Erstfeld and Göschenen that saves up to 950 metres in altitude.

Arrival | return travel

Arrival / return travel Wassen, Dorf
SBB Timetable Show stop and route on map

Contact

Signpost management
Signposting is managed by the cantonal hiking trail organisation on behalf of the canton and the communities.
Urner Wanderwege
Rathausplatz 4
6460 Altdorf
info@urnerwanderwege.ch
www.urnerwanderwege.ch

Services

Accommodation

Hotel 3 Könige & Post
Hotel 3 Könige & Post
Andermatt
The River House
The River House
Andermatt
Show all

Bookable offers

55 Via Suworow
55 Via Suworow
Show all

Places

Andermatt
Andermatt
Göschenen
Göschenen
Wassen
Wassen
Show all

Places of interest

Monument of Suworow
Monument of Suworow
The diabolic and wild Schöllenenschlucht
The diabolic and wild Schöllenenschlucht
Waterworld Göschenen
Waterworld Göschenen
Show all

Signalization

Signalization
For hiking, follow the logo indicated on the yellow signposts. Take a printout of our web map on your hike for safety's sake.
Signalization