false

Cycling in Switzerland

Photo gallery

Hiking in

Koblenz
ViaRhenana
ViaRhenana
Stage 7, Bad Zurzach–Laufenburg
Show all
Klingnauer Uferweg
Klingnauer Uferweg
Route 525, Döttingen–Döttingen
Show all

Cycling in

Koblenz
Rhine Route
Rhine Route
Stage 8, Bad Zurzach–Rheinfelden
Show all
Studenland-Töss-Römer-Route
Studenland-Töss-Römer-Route
Stage 1, Koblenz–Bülach
Show all
Aare Route
Aare Route
Stage 7, Aarau–Koblenz
Show all

Canoeing in

Koblenz
Aare Canoe
Aare Canoe
Stage 8, Brugg–Full-Reuenthal
Show all
Koblenz
Koblenz

Koblenz

During Roman times Koblenz was called Confluentia, which means flow together: the Aare and Rhine unite at the town in Canton Aargau. The natural paradise of the Klingnau reservoir is the last highlight on the course of the Aare.
The Rhine forms the border to Germany at Koblenz on the Hochrhein. The neighbouring German town of Waldshut-Tiengen lies on the opposite bank of the Rhine at the foot of the Black Forest. The name Koblenz originally came from Latin. «Confluentia» means confluence and here Switzerland’s two largest rivers, the Rhine and Aare converge. Although the Aare carries more water here on average, the name remains the Rhine.

The 1.5 km2 area Klingnauer reservoir, built in 1935, is located just before the confluence of the Aare and Rhine. Known for its natural world, particularly a wealth of birdlife, the lake attracts nature lovers and those seeking recreation. Paths around the lake access spacious countryside and give an idea of the scale of the former wild wetlands. Hikers and ramblers circle the lake on foot, ornithologists set up their telescopes, skaters and joggers use the paths for sport.

The observation tower on the western shore facilitates uninterrupted views across the lake, making it easy to identify birds on the water: information panels on the upper platform show the most frequent lake inhabitants. Excursions to the surrounding nature reserves of Gippinger Grien, Giriz, Machme, and Fischergrien/-Werd provide deeper insights into typical wetland areas.

A totally different place of interest in the region is the Reuenthal artillery fortification, on a rise above the Rhine between Koblenz and Leibstadt and just opposite the small German town of Waldshut. Built between 1937 and 1939 it was intended to prevent the advance of German troops across the Rhine. Today, the complex can be visited as a fortification museum and there is also a Swiss military museum in neighbouring Full.

Highlights

  • Klingnau reservoir – a paradise for hatching and migratory birds and also for nature lovers, ramblers, joggers and skaters.
  • Reuenthal artillery fortifications and the military museum in Full – witnesses to a period when the frontier to Germany was threatened.
During Roman times Koblenz was called Confluentia, which means flow together: the Aare and Rhine unite at the town in Canton Aargau. The natural paradise of the Klingnau reservoir is the last highlight on the course of the Aare.
The Rhine forms the border to Germany at Koblenz on the Hochrhein. The neighbouring German town of Waldshut-Tiengen lies on the opposite bank of the Rhine at the foot of the Black Forest. The name Koblenz originally came from Latin. «Confluentia» means confluence and here Switzerland’s two largest rivers, the Rhine and Aare converge. Although the Aare carries more water here on average, the name remains the Rhine.

The 1.5 km2 area Klingnauer reservoir, built in 1935, is located just before the confluence of the Aare and Rhine. Known for its natural world, particularly a wealth of birdlife, the lake attracts nature lovers and those seeking recreation. Paths around the lake access spacious countryside and give an idea of the scale of the former wild wetlands. Hikers and ramblers circle the lake on foot, ornithologists set up their telescopes, skaters and joggers use the paths for sport.

The observation tower on the western shore facilitates uninterrupted views across the lake, making it easy to identify birds on the water: information panels on the upper platform show the most frequent lake inhabitants. Excursions to the surrounding nature reserves of Gippinger Grien, Giriz, Machme, and Fischergrien/-Werd provide deeper insights into typical wetland areas.

A totally different place of interest in the region is the Reuenthal artillery fortification, on a rise above the Rhine between Koblenz and Leibstadt and just opposite the small German town of Waldshut. Built between 1937 and 1939 it was intended to prevent the advance of German troops across the Rhine. Today, the complex can be visited as a fortification museum and there is also a Swiss military museum in neighbouring Full.

Highlights

  • Klingnau reservoir – a paradise for hatching and migratory birds and also for nature lovers, ramblers, joggers and skaters.
  • Reuenthal artillery fortifications and the military museum in Full – witnesses to a period when the frontier to Germany was threatened.

Arrival and return Koblenz

Adresse

Bad Zurzach Tourismus
Dr. Martin Erb-Strasse 9
5330 Bad Zurzach
Tel. +41 (0)56 269 00 60
welcome@badzurzach.info
www.badzurzach.info

Services

Hiking in

Koblenz
ViaRhenana
ViaRhenana
Stage 7, Bad Zurzach–Laufenburg
Show all
Klingnauer Uferweg
Klingnauer Uferweg
Route 525, Döttingen–Döttingen
Show all

Cycling in

Koblenz
Rhine Route
Rhine Route
Stage 8, Bad Zurzach–Rheinfelden
Show all
Studenland-Töss-Römer-Route
Studenland-Töss-Römer-Route
Stage 1, Koblenz–Bülach
Show all
Aare Route
Aare Route
Stage 7, Aarau–Koblenz
Show all

Canoeing in

Koblenz
Aare Canoe
Aare Canoe
Stage 8, Brugg–Full-Reuenthal
Show all